Judging by this breed’s gorgeous coat, their regal and cunning personalities come as no surprise. Find out if these dogs are a perfect fit for your family.
One of the oldest dog breeds around, the Afghan Hound originally comes from Afghanistan where it was called the Tazi. Known mostly for their elegant build and flowing hair, Afghan Hounds are beautiful and unusual dogs. Historically, this breed was used to track down and hold large game at bay, including leopards and other large cats, and we can only imagine she did it with poise.
Despite their graceful appearance, Afghan Hound dogs like to be the class clown as well, and are always entertaining their families. Life is never average with one of these beauties around.
Why We Love the Afghan Hound
- The Afghan Hound is an unexpectedly witty pup with a mischievous personality. She gets a real kick out of making her family laugh and will always surprise you.
- These beauties have a gorgeous flowing coat and exotic appearance. Few dogs are as regal as an Afghan Hound.
- Loyalty to family is a big deal for Afghan Hound dogs. They’re typically a one person or family pup, and aren’t easily won over by others.
Things to Consider
- This breed is a little unaffectionate and sometimes doesn’t want any cuddles or belly scratches (gasp). If you’re looking for a pup to pile up on the couch with for hours, this may not be your match.
- Afghan Hound dogs aren’t overly warm to outsiders, just like they aren’t affectionate to their families at times. You may have to explain to dog-loving guests why your pup is indifferent to them.
- Grooming that gorgeous coat can be a real feat. If you aren’t prepared to spend a good amount of time grooming her, or pay for a professional to do it, this may not be the perfect pup.
Afghan Hounds, like many breeds, have been victims of overbreeding and irresponsible breeding, which have led to the exacerbation of certain health issues. For these pups, these can include allergies, juvenile cataracts, hypothyroidism and, unfortunately, cancer. These problems can be serious, and due to the time and money required for treatment, many of these pups end up in shelters. If you think an Afghan Hound could be the perfect buddy, consider helping out a rescue!
Afghan Hound Rescues
Whether you’re looking for an Afghan Hound puppy or an adult Afghan Hound, there are tons of pups near you just waiting to find their forever home! Here are just a few:
- Elegant, aloof & cunning
- Avg. Weight
- 50 - 60 lbs
- Weekly grooming required
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 12 Years
Afghan Hounds near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society