Australian Shepherds are playful, intelligent and loving. Here’s all you need to know about these furry balls of energy!
Given their name, you might think the Australian Shepherd breed, also called the Aussie, originated in Australia. Not so! This breed is American-born. Aussies originated in the United States as early as the 19th century. Their popularity soared after World War II, when they became beloved to the public through events like rodeos and horse shows, as well as made-for-television movies that featured these wonderful pups.
Today, Australian Shepherds are still some of the most popular dogs around. They are excellent family dogs that love their humans, big and small! With their playful disposition, sharp minds, and hearts full of love, it’s no wonder these dogs are excellent companions.
Why We Love the Australian Shepherd Breed
- Australian Shepherds are playful pups that love activities and jobs!
- They are affectionate, loving, and devoted to people they are familiar with. They thrive with guardians who give them lots of attention and have even earned the nickname “Velcro Dogs” for their tendency to always be near their owners and for the powerful bonds they form with those they love.
- Australian Shepherds are working dogs and are protective of their territory, and they only bark when necessary to warn about suspicious neighborhood activity.
- They have a reputation for being one of the most trainable and intelligent dogs around. Aussies can think for themselves and are capable of working well even with ducks, geese and rabbits. They love to work and are quick learners!
Things to Consider
- Australian Shepherds are an energetic breed that requires several hours of play, attention, and exercise every day. They thrive in rural conditions since they need lots of space to run off that energy.
- That beautiful coat needs grooming! You’re looking at weekly brushing when you have an Aussie.
- Like all dogs, Australian Shepherds need socialization. These pups can be wary of strangers, so make sure you socialize early so your furry friend gets used to other people and animals!
Australian Shepherds are energetic, lovable dogs that are devoted to their families. Sadly, this wonderful breed suffers from overbreeding, which leaves many pups without forever homes. Poor breeding practices (like puppy mills) can also worsen health issues in this breed, such as cataracts, deafness, and hip/elbow dysplasia. Help Aussies escape this horrible fate. If you’re looking to adopt an Australian Shepherd, consider opening your home to a rescue instead!
Australian Shepherd Rescues
Whether you’re looking for an Australian Shepherd puppy or a full-grown companion, there are plenty of rescues that are looking for forever homes. Here are just a few:
- Energetic, intelligent & loving
- Avg. Weight
- 55 - 70 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 13 - 15 years
Australian Shepherds near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society