Bernese Mountain Dogs
These gentle giants are both loving and lovable members of the family. Here’s the scoop on this beautiful breed.
Bernese Mountain Dogs are farm dogs by origin and love outdoor activities. They enjoy hiking, going on walks or even pulling the kids for a spin in a wagon. Generally very mild mannered, the Bernese Mountain Dog breed is affectionate, cuddly and a friend to all things on four legs or two.
With regular exercise and obedience training, the Bernese Mountain Dog is a perfect companion for the whole family.
Why We Love the Bernese Mountain Dog Breed
- This breed is very unique. With their huge size and gorgeous black, white and rust coat, having a Bernese in the house is a little like having a living teddy bear.
- Bernese Mountain Dogs love everyone, but are especially fond of children. They’re happy to entertain the kids by pulling them around or allowing themselves to be pulled on.
- Not only is the Bernese Mountain Dog breed easy to train, they also actually enjoy it. They do great with obedience training or working tasks.
Things to Consider
- These tri-colored beauties are slow to mature and may act like big puppies for longer than other breeds. Bernese Mountain Dog puppies need plenty of TLC and structure.
- This breed is prone to health problems — bloat, cancer, eyelid problems, and hip and elbow dysplasia.
- Bernese Mountain Dogs aren’t recommended for apartment living. They are largely inactive indoors and need regular exercise to maintain a healthy weight.
- That thick, pretty coat requires weekly brushing and will shed a great deal.
Being a giant breed, the Bernese Mountain Dog suffers from more than its fair share of health concerns. These pups don’t have a very long life expectancy and need to be properly fed, exercised and trained in order to live a full, happy life. Consider bringing a sweet Bernese Mountain Dog rescue into your family if you think this breed could be your perfect companion!
Bernese Mountain Dog Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a Bernese Mountain Dog puppy or a full-grown giant fur baby, there are plenty of precious rescues near you! Check out a few to find your perfect match:
- Calm & cheerful
- Avg. Weight
- 80 - 110 lbs
- Weekly brushing required
- Avg. Life Span
- 6 - 8 years
Bernese Mountain Dogs near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society