The beautiful Bichon Frise is more than just a pretty, fluffy face. Find out why this energetic and intelligent breed is a perfect fit for your family.
While Bichons are typically confused with small poodles thanks to their beautiful white coats, these pups have a unique history all their own. These regal dogs come by their proud demeanor honestly, as they were commonly found in the royal courts of France and England in the 16th century.
Today, Bichon Frise dogs are known for their loving temperaments and intelligence. They’re often trained on agility courses, and are especially adept at winning the affections of their families, groomers and veterinarians.
Why We Love the Bichon Frise Breed
- Bichon Frises are great family pets. They’re affectionate and gentle, so they’re wonderful with children!
- These tiny pups make good apartment dogs based on their size.
- Bichons can be good pets for people with allergies, because they shed differently from other breeds.
- These beautiful dogs are highly intelligent, which means they’re highly trainable
Things to Consider
- Their beautiful white coats need frequent (and oftentimes professional) grooming to avoid matting.
- Bichons have a lot of energy, which means no matter where you live, they’ll need plenty of regular exercise and play time.
- They’re incredibly loving, but they hate to be alone! These pups have a tendency to suffer from separation anxiety.
- Bichon Frises can be difficult to house train, so crate training is highly recommended.
Bichon Frises have a beautiful white coat and are typically healthy animals, which makes them highly desirable. Unfortunately, this also makes them a target for over-breeding as well. This exacerbates some of the health issues common to Bichons, such as hip dysplasia, juvenile cataracts and skin and food allergies. Consider opening your home to a Bichon rescue in need of a loving forever family!
Bichon Frise Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a fluffy Bichon Frise puppy or a full-grown Bichon pal, there are tons of lovable dogs near you just waiting to find their forever homes! Here are just a few:
- Curious, peppy & playful
- Avg. Weight
- 7 - 12 lbs
- Professional grooming recommended
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 15 years
Bichon Frises near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society