Highly intelligent and energetic, Border Collies are some of the most hard-working dogs around! Find out if these dogs are a good fit for you.
No couch potatoes here! Hailing from the rugged Scottish border country, Border Collies are sheep-herding dogs with plenty of energy and stamina. No longer on the plains of Scotland, the Border Collie is as hard working as ever. Many owners note their sensitivity to even the slightest command, and they have an uncanny ability to know what you want before you ask!
These affectionate workers are great sidekicks for active owners — they love to go for runs and work through agility courses! Plus, their cunning and intelligence make them incredibly easy to train.
Why We Love the Border Collie Breed
- This breed is a great match for an active owner — bonus points for those eager to get involved in dog sports!
- Border Collies are incredibly intelligent and very easy to train.
- Due to their herding nature, Border Collies excel in sheepdog trials and agility training.
- Thanks to the history of the breed, they make the ideal working dog. You could even call them workaholics.
Things to Consider
- Border Collies require frequent exercise and mental stimulation. Otherwise, they may invent their own games!
- These dogs can be pretty shy, so proper socialization is key.
- As herders, Border Collies will attempt to herd just about anything — children, squirrels, cats, and even cars and people on bikes. A secure yard is essential.
- These smart pups aren’t too cuddly. They prefer to have a job to do to keep them occupied
Because they need plenty of exercise and attention, Border Collies aren’t a great fit for all homes and lifestyles. Unfortunately, this causes many pet owners to abandon the dogs they aren’t able to properly care for. Plus, their intelligence and unique work ethic make them a target for over breeding. When it’s time to welcome a new member into your family, check your local shelter to give these hard-working dogs a loving forever home!
Border Collie Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a fluffy Border Collie puppy or are ready to take home some agility awards, there are plenty of these intelligent dogs waiting to find a forever home! Here are just a few:
- Affectionate, energetic & intelligent
- Avg. Weight
- 30 - 45 pounds
- Weekly brushing
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 15 years
Border Collies near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society