Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
Intelligent and hard working, these dogs are a great fit for enthusiastic owners. Learn all you need to know about these water-loving pups.
Chesapeake Bay Retrievers (affectionately known as Chessies) are historically waterfowl hunting dogs. They have a thick, water-repelling coat and are right at home in any body of water! When introduced to water at a young age, they become incredibly powerful swimmers.
Chessies are also very bright, loving and obedient. While they aren’t the best dogs for first-time pet parents, with the right care and attention they can become well trained and cherished companions.
Why We Love the Chessie Breed
- These sporting dogs have excellent noses, making them ideal hunting companions.
- As a breed, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are friendly, outgoing and obedient.
- Chessies are highly intelligent and excel at agility courses and field tests.
- These pups can be excellent watchdogs and are protective of people and property.
Things to Consider
- Chesapeake Bay Retrievers require plenty of exercise — including swimming! Otherwise, they may let their energy out in undesirable ways.
- These pups tend to be more willful and combative with strangers and other dogs if not socialized properly.
- Chessies are strong-willed, so they require a firm hand during training.
- As a retriever breed, these dogs shed heavily and require weekly brushing.
Chesapeake Bay Retrievers are loving and bright, but they do have a tendency to take charge and can be willful and aggressive if not properly trained. Training them takes a lot of work and they aren’t great for first-time pet owners. For these reasons, a lot of Chessies are abandoned at shelters when their owners can’t give them the attention they need. Instead of buying these dogs from breeders, check your local shelter to give these pups the caring home they deserve!
Chesapeake Bay Retriever Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a wrinkly Chessie puppy or are ready to welcome a full-grown retriever into your home, there are plenty of these intelligent pups waiting to find a forever home! Here are just a few:
- Affectionate, bright & sensitive
- Avg. Weight
- 55 - 80 lbs
- Regular brushing
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 12 years
Chesapeake Bay Retrievers near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society