This regal breed has been a faithful companion to humans for over 2,000 years. If you want an eye-catching dog with unmatched loyalty, then this big pile of wrinkles is for you.
The Chinese Shar-Pei has been around the block and has an extensive history. Originally bred to guard the royal palaces of ancient China, it retains many of its robust protective qualities today. Its signature blue tongue was believed to ward off demons when it barked, and the iconic wrinkles prevented attackers from injuring the Shar-Pei’s internal organs during a fight.
Silent, calm and fiercely loyal, Chinese Shar-Pei dogs live happily in both apartments and houses so long as their owners are by their side. While they are independent and don’t enjoy being fussed over, Chinese Shar-Peis are known for following their owners from room to room. This breed’s protectiveness, strength and bold demeanor also make them excellent guard dogs — however, Shar-Pei puppies can learn to be welcoming to houseguests if trained at an early age.
Why We Love the Chinese Shar-Pei Breed
- The Chinese Shar-Pei’s tranquil demeanor makes for a calm presence in the home. They won’t bark unless they are truly concerned.
- Their short, low-maintenance coats make the Shar-Pei’s unique look easy to maintain.
- Chinese Shar-Peis are fiercely loyal family members, and crave to love and protect their owners.
- Wrinkles! Need we say more?
Things to Consider
- These protective dogs are prone to standoffishness if not socialized. Chinese Shar-Pei puppies must have early and frequent exposure to strangers and other animals to prevent unwanted behavioral traits.
- While the Chinese Shar-Pei is naturally docile, like all dogs, they still require daily exercise to maintain good health.
- Unique wrinkles come with unique health concerns such as pyoderma and sebborhea, though with careful attention these are easy to prevent.
- Chinese Shar-Peis are independent souls and may be resistant to training. They need a firm but kind owner to train them from an early age.
The Chinese Shar-Pei’s unique looks are an ancient tradition. Unfortunately, this means they are especially in danger of overbreeding, which can lead to health issues such as overheating, eye problems and elbow dysplasia. Furthermore, this naturally protective pup requires a firm and loving trainer to curb potential willfulness. When owners are not prepared to take special care of this ancient breed, they are more likely to end up abandoned and in shelters. If you are considering owning one of these devoted companions, look into adopting a Chinese Shar-Pei rescue.
Chinese Shar-Pei Rescues
When you can no longer resist their adorable wrinkles, check out some of the many Shar-Pei rescue dogs who are looking for a home. These are just a few:
- Calm, confident & devoted
- Avg. Weight
- 40 - 65 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 14 Years
Chinese Shar-Pei near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society