Sweet, intelligent and cheerful, Cocker Spaniels are great family dogs. Here’s what you need to know about this gentle breed.
Though considered a medium sized breed, Cocker Spaniel dogs are known as the smallest member of the Sporting Group. These playful, athletic pups can be trained to hunt or spend their days as companions to kids, other pets or the whole family.
No matter the lifestyle of your Cocker Spaniel, he or she will face it with a smile.
Why We Love the Cocker Spaniel Breed
- Cocker Spaniels are extremely even-tempered. This breed loves all and typically goes with the flow.
- These guys are adorable! Cocker Spaniels have flowy hair, long floppy ears and huge happy eyes.
- Cocker Spaniel puppies are easy to train and are adaptable to many activities such as hunting, playing, exercising or just relaxing.
Things to Consider
- That gorgeous silky coat requires weekly grooming. Not to mention, their large ears and eyes need regular check ups.
- The Cocker Spaniel breed doesn’t just have silky hair, they have a lot of it—and it will end up on your clothing and furniture.
- These pooches love their families so much that they can be upset when left alone. They might panic when lonely and bark, whine or chew.
With so much love to give, Cocker Spaniels hate being alone and this can lead to destructive behaviors. Without the proper training and time commitment this can be a real problem and can be a deal breaker for some owners. Their beautiful coat means dedicating time, energy and money to keeping your Spaniel free of matting and tangles. Unfortunately, Cocker Spaniel dogs’ big eyes and ears can also cause frequent eye and ear infections without regular check ups. If you’re thinking of choosing a Cocker Spaniel, consider bringing home a rescue!
Cocker Spaniel Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a Cocker Spaniel puppy or a full-grown pal, there are tons of dogs near you just waiting to find their forever home! Here are just a few:
- Mild & even-tempered
- Avg. Weight
- 24 - 28 lbs
- Weekly brushing required
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 15 years
Cocker Spaniels near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society