English Cocker Spaniels
Joyful and laid back, English Cocker Spaniels are lovely companions. Here’s the scoop on these pretty pups.
The English Cocker Spaniel breed is the epitome of a happy-go-lucky, gentle canine. Originally bred to hunt all sorts of birds, these dogs are happiest when they’re exercised regularly. If you’re looking for a pup that’s just as content to go on an adventure as he is to curl up on your bed, an English Cocker Spaniel dog might be the one for you.
The English Cocker Spaniel is just a little different from its American counterpart. This breed is slightly larger and built a little differently, but shares a similar lively and docile personality.
Why We Love the English Cocker Spaniel Breed
- English Cocker Spaniels really do love everything and everyone — kids, other animals, adults, etc. — and they’re super affectionate to their families.
- Those big sweet eyes will actually melt your heart. These pups are famous for making a “melting face” that will convince anyone without a heart of stone to give them anything.
- You know that friend who’s always up for anything? That’s the English Cocker Spaniel. Always willing to participate in any activity, high-energy or otherwise, these guys will be your best friend and constant companion.
Things to Consider
- Some English Cocker Spaniels are prone to barking and should be trained early to avoid this habit.
- This breed tends to return to its hunting roots. They’ll chase birds and small animals often, and for that reason should be let out in a fenced area or kept on a leash in public places.
- You’ll need to monitor the amount of food your English Cocker Spaniel scarfs down. This breed is prone to becoming overweight and won’t do well if you just leave food out and let him graze.
English Cocker Spaniels have fallen victim to unethical breeding habits over the years, leading to the prevalence of health issues that this breed is predisposed to. Owners and breeders often surrender these pups to shelters because of these issues. Medical problems can include eye problems, hip dysplasia, renal failure and dilated cardiomyopathy. If you think an English Cocker could be the one for you, consider adopting!
English Cocker Spaniel Rescues
Whether you’re looking for an English Cocker Spaniel puppy or an adult English Cocker Spaniel dog, there are tons of pups near you just waiting to find their forever home! Here are just a few:
- Loving, responsive & alive with energy
- Avg. Weight
- 26 - 34 lbs
- Weekly brushing required
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 14 years
English Cocker Spaniels near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society