English Springer Spaniels
Athletic, smart, and loving, English Springer Spaniels are great family pets. Here’s the 411 on these precious pups!
English Springer Spaniels get their name from their role as hunting dogs. Their job is to “spring”, or flush birds for hunters. This breed is known for its athleticism—specifically, its persistence in tough hunting conditions.
Sportsmanship aside, English Springer Spaniels are also popular house pets. They’re incredibly cheerful, affectionate, and people-oriented dogs who have plenty of love to give their families! These happy pups are even used as therapy dogs; they bring a smile to everyone they meet.
Why We Love the English Springer Spaniel Breed
- English Springer Spaniels are great with children, especially if they’re raised with them from puppyhood.
- These dogs are enthusiastic! They’re eager to please, obedient, and fast learners with sharp minds.
- English Springer Spaniels get along with other dogs and non-canine pets, too. However, birds may be mistaken as prey since these pups were born to hunt them.
- Your English Springer Spaniel will be a devoted companion. The breed is known for being sociable and people-oriented, wanting to be by their humans as much as possible.
Things to Consider
- Your English Springer Spaniel needs plenty of exercise! If you’re not one for daily activity, this breed isn’t for you.
- Their beautiful coats require frequent grooming to avoid matting.
- English Springer Spaniels need a calm yet firm leader to help them learn house rules.
- Since English Springer Spaniels are people-oriented pups, they don’t do well when left alone for long periods of time. Make sure you have the time to dedicate to your dog!
English Springer Spaniels are some of the most popular family dogs around. Unfortunately, this popularity means the breed is subjected to overbreeding, which can exacerbate health issues in these dogs, like hip dysplasia, progressive retinal atrophy, and PFK deficiency. Help these precious pups avoid this fate. If you’re looking to adopt an English Springer Spaniel, consider opening your home to a rescue instead!
English Springer Spaniel Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a English Springer Spaniel puppy or an older pooch, there are plenty of rescues that need a loving family. Here are just a few:
- Loyal, intelligent & energetic
- Avg. Weight
- 40 - 60 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 15 years
English Springer Spaniels near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society