With their compact size and doting nature, Havanese are the ultimate companions! Here’s the 411 on these furry balls of love.
Havanese are beloved in the United States, but did you know that these precious pups are actually the national dog of Cuba? Originally bred as companion dogs, Havanese were once the pets of aristocrats in Havana. With their long, gorgeous coats and friendly disposition, it’s no wonder these pups were the preferred pals of the upper class!
Today, Havanese dogs aren’t just for the rich and famous. These pooches are a family favorite! A Havanese is doting, loyal, and deeply attached to its family. They love being the center of your world, and if you give them attention and love, they will pay you back ten-fold with endless devotion.
Why We Love the Havanese Breed
- Havanese dogs are full to the brim with love. They want nothing more than to spend all day, every day with their families!
- These pups get along with everybody. They are excellent with children and other pets, and while they’ll bark for a stranger, they warm up to company as soon as they see their owners accept a visitor.
- With their responsive nature, Havanese are incredibly trainable.
- That beautiful coat barely sheds at all! If you have allergies, this breed is for you.
Things to Consider
- Havanese are made to be around their families. Leaving your pooch alone for too long can cause them to have separation anxiety, so make sure you have time to dedicate to your pup.
- Your dog’s beautiful coat may not shed, but it still requires regular grooming.
- Despite their small size and companion role, Havanese are surprisingly energetic. Your pup needs daily exercise to remain healthy and happy.
Havanese, with their giant hearts and amiable nature, have come to be one of the most beloved breeds in the United States. Unfortunately, this popularity means these sweet dogs are victims of unethical breeding practices, such as overbreeding and puppy mills. Havanese dogs are prone to deafness, Legg-Perthes Disease, and cataracts. These health issues can be exacerbated by overbreeding and poor breeding conditions. Help Havanese escape this fate. If you’re looking to adopt a Havanese, consider a rescue instead!
Whether you’re looking for a Havanese puppy or an older pal, there are plenty of rescues waiting to meet you. Here are just a few:
- Alert, loving & active
- Avg. Weight
- 10 - 15 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 13 - 15 years
Havanese near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society