These gentle giants are friendly and loving to everyone they meet. Read all the reasons an Irish Wolfhound is a great fit for you.
The tallest of all dog breeds, the Irish Wolfhound is intimidating in size only. These dogs don’t have a single aggressive bone in their bodies, and are pretty quiet and calm indoors. Irish Wolfhounds love long walks with their families, but are otherwise content to curl up with you on the couch — if they can fit!
These dogs have a strong desire for human companionship and will fill your life with plenty of love, admiration and sloppy dog kisses. All your Irish Wolfhound needs is a yard to play in and some serious cuddle time, and he’ll be one happy pup!
Why We Love the Irish Wolfhound Breed
- Irish Wolfhounds are gentle giants who get along well with everyone from adults and small children to other dogs and house pets.
- The Irish Wolfhound breed is calm and easygoing, and doesn’t require a lot of strenuous exercise.
- Irish Wolfhound puppies are easy to housetrain, and they respond well to obedience training as well.
Things to Consider
- Though their stature makes them seem like good guard dogs, they’re more likely to be friends with would-be intruders than enemies.
- These large pups aren’t well suited for apartment living. Stairs are tough on their joints, and they need adequate space to stretch out.
- Due to their size, Irish Wolfhounds don’t have very long lifespans. They’ll form a deep and loving bond with their owners, but those looking for a long-time companion may be better suited with another breed.
Because of their large size, Irish Wolfhounds are prone to a few health concerns, such as osteosarcoma (an aggressive bone cancer) and elbow and hip dysplasia (both of which can lead to painful lameness). Over-breeding causes these health issues to be worse, and these loving pups already have a shorter lifespan than most.
Before you shop around for an Irish Wolfhound, check out a rescue group or local shelter who can easily help you give a forever home to one of these giant pups.
Irish Wolfhound Rescues
Whether you’re hoping for a big Irish Wolfhound puppy or a sweet adult companion, there are plenty of these intelligent pups waiting to find a forever home! Here are just a few:
- Calm, courageous & dignified
- Avg. Weight
- 115 - 180 lbs
- Weekly brushing recommended
- Avg. Life Span
- 6 - 8 Years
Irish Wolfhounds near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society