This beautiful breed is dainty but energetic.
The Papillon, whose name comes from the French word for butterfly, is a descendent of the toy spaniels that are known for their portrayal in 16th century paintings! Their beautiful features make these tiny dogs beautiful on both canvas and in real life.
Papillons are known for their bright attitude. Energetic, curious, and active are just a few words that describe this toy breed. If you’re looking for an adventurous pup with a whole lot of personality, the Papillon breed is for you.
Why We Love the Papillon Breed
- This breed is known for its smart and highly trainable manner.
- Papillions are doers! If you’re looking for a small but active dog, this breed is for you.
- Their gorgeous coats were once the subject of paintings and don’t even require a lot of grooming!
- These pups get along with kids and other animals alike.
Things To Consider
- The Papillon isn’t afraid to take charge of a situation; they have no idea how small they are! Proper training is a must.
- If you’re looking for a snuggler, this breed may not be for you. Papillons like action.
- Like most dogs, this breed doesn’t do well when left on its own for a long period of time.
- While friendly, Papillons should still receive socialization at an early age.
With their beautiful coat, friendly disposition, and happy-go-lucky attitude, it’s no wonder Papillons are incredibly popular dogs. However, when dogs get this popular, they become victims of unethical breeding practices, which can exacerbate heath problems in the breed such as hip dysplasia, patellar luxation, or progressive retinal atrophy. Don’t support unethical breeding practices—adopt instead!
Whether you’re looking for a Papillon puppy or mature doggie friend, there are several Papillon pups waiting to find their family. Check out these rescues near you:
- Perky, friendly & active
- Avg. Weight
- 4–9 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 16 years
Papillons near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society