Portuguese Water Dogs
Active, sweet and sharp, Portuguese Water Dogs are lovely companions. Here’s the scoop on these gorgeous pups:
Propelled into doggie stardom by Bo Obama, the First Family’s beloved pet, Portuguese Water Dogs or “Porties” have become quite popular. Originally bred to help out on fishing trips, this breed has very unique webbed feet and can swim better than most humans.
Enthusiasm will never run scarce with a Portuguese Water Dog around. These sweethearts will demand as much affection as they do exercise. The Portuguese Water Dog breed loves to be active and will keep you moving throughout the year.
Why We Love the Portuguese Water Dog Breed
- Portuguese Water Dogs have lush, wavy or curly coats that are non-shedding and hypoallergenic. If dog allergies (or OCD) run in the family, this breed could be a good choice.
- These pups love to play — especially in the water! They’re a great excuse to use the pool, go to the beach or put the boat in the water.
- With a little training, the Portuguese Water Dog can do pretty much anything. This is a very smart breed that enjoys being challenged both mentally and physically.
Things to Consider
- The thick, gorgeous coat Porties wear requires some pretty intense and frequent grooming. Lots of potential for mats and tangles!
- You have to stimulate the Portuguese Water Dog breed daily with plenty of exercise, attention and training. If you don’t, these highly intelligent pups will let you know.
- These guys hate being alone and can get rather mouthy when left to their own devices. Make sure you’ve got the time to commit to this breed.
Portuguese Water Dogs, like many breeds, have been irresponsibly bred leading to increased health issues. For Porties, these can include hip dysplasia and eye disease. The coat on these pups is also very high maintenance and can become more costly and time consuming than some owners realize, leading to their surrender. If you think a Portuguese Water Dog could be right for you, consider a rescue!
Portuguese Water Dog Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a Portuguese Water Dog puppy or an adult Portuguese Water Dog, there are tons of pups near you just waiting to find their forever home! Here are just a few:
- Active, kind & adventurous
- Avg. Weight
- 35 - 60 lbs
- Weekly grooming required
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 14 Years
Portuguese Water Dogs near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society