Pugs are loving and oh so adorable. Here’s the 411 on these petite, playful pups.
Did you know the Pug is one of the oldest dog breeds? These pooches have been around since before 400 BC! Pugs used to be pets of Buddhist monasteries in Tibet and were also a favorite of royals throughout Europe.
Today, Pug dogs are adored by families everywhere, thanks to their even-temper, humor, and loving nature. What’s these adorable pups’ best talent? Being a great companion!
Why We Love the Pug Breed
- The Pug breed is a comical one. They love making their humans laugh!
- These pups crave affection. If you’re looking for a snuggler, Pug dogs are perfect for you.
- Due to their compact size and minimal exercise needs, Pugs can be great apartment dogs. However, they’re also very adaptable to other living situations.
- Their short coats require minimal grooming!
Things to Consider
- That coat might be short, but Pugs still shed! Be ready with a broom or vacuum.
- Pug dogs are incredibly intelligent, but they can also be headstrong. These pups need patient owners who are willing to take some time to teach them their manners!
- Crate training is strongly recommended for Pug puppies to help with potty issues.
- Pugs are prone to overheating, so be careful with your pup outside.
Pug dogs, like many popular breeds in the United States, are susceptible to overbreeding. This causes several health issues to become even more prevalent in Pugs, including dry eye, breathing difficulties due to flat faces and short noses, and hip dysplasia. Help put an end to bad breeding practices—rescue a Pug instead!
Whether you’re looking for a Pug puppy or a full-grown Pug friend, there are tons of rescues waiting to find a loving family! Here are just a few:
- Independent, clever & playful
- Avg. Weight
- 14 - 18 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 15 years
Pugs near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society