These smart, lively watchdogs bare resemblance to a fox in more ways than one. Find out if this breed could be perfect for you.
The Shiba Inu is compact and muscular in build and can make a great hunting companion or exercise partner. Shibas are perfect family pets with a natural instinct to protect and defend their loved ones.
Naturally clean and easy to train, Shiba Inu dogs are relatively low maintenance — but don’t be fooled, they are not without their quirks. Shibas have a trademark “Shiba scream” which is a high-pitched noise they emit when they get too worked up. Trust us, you’ll know if you’ve heard it.
Why We Love the Shiba Inu Breed
- Shiba Inu dogs are super loyal and happy to be in the company of those they love. Great cuddles are guaranteed!
- These pups love to groom themselves and are naturally inclined to keep themselves clean. Your Shiba won’t like having muddy paws any more than you do.
- Inherently protective, Shiba Inus will make sure you’re safe from anyone who means you harm.
Things to Consider
- That thick, double plush coat needs to be brushed multiple times a week. Make sure you can work this into your typical routine to prevent tangles and matting.
- The Shiba scream. If you (or the people around you) aren’t prepared for it, the Shiba Inu’s high-pitched squeal can be very startling.
- Shiba Inu dogs need frequent socialization and exercise. Be prepared to make these activities a priority so your pup doesn’t resort to undesirable behaviors.
If not properly trained or socialized, the Shiba Inu’s protectiveness can lead to some behavioral traits not all owners like or are prepared for — not to mention their tendency to be a bit noisy. Unfortunately, this leads to some owners surrendering their loving pets to shelters.
In addition, over breeding has led to the exacerbation of health issues such as hip dysplasia, patellar luxation and eye disease. If you’re thinking of bringing a Shiba into your home, consider adopting a rescue!
Shiba Inu Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a Shiba Inu puppy or an adult Shiba Inu dog, there are tons of pups near you just waiting to find their forever home! Here are just a few:
- Bright, loyal & active
- Avg. Weight
- 15 - 24 lbs
- Weekly brushing required
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 15 years
Shiba Inus near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society