Staffordshire Bull Terriers
Strong and powerful on the outside, loving and soft on the inside. Here’s the scoop on this sweet breed:
They may look a little rugged to those that don’t know them, but Staffordshire Bull Terriers are just softies that want to cover you in kisses. These pups are often misunderstood because of their stocky frames and lean, sculpted muscles, but they’re actually very friendly and nurturing, especially with children!
These happy-go-lucky dogs are great companions and tend to love and trust almost anyone. You’re sure to get plenty of affection from these tough guys.
Why We Love the Staffordshire Bull Terrier Breed
- This breed absolutely loves kids! They’re very gentle and watchful over children and love to take care of them.
- With a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, you’ve got a sure exercise companion. Always up for any activity, this breed is perfect for the active lifestyle.
- These guys are super playful and happy. Staffordshire Bull Terriers always have a smile on their faces and just love being around their humans.
Things to Consider
- These guys really love you, and for that reason, they hate being alone. If left to their own devices, they can become destructive and mouthy.
- Unfortunately, many communities don’t allow bull breeds, so definitely double check that you can provide a home for one of these pups before adopting.
- While your Staffordshire Bull Terrier will love doing anything with you, they require regular exercise and won’t be their happiest or healthiest without it. Make sure you have the time and space to get that energy out.
Staffordshire Bull Terriers have an unearned bad reputation. Because they have been victims of dog fighting in the past and have a strong appearance, they are wrongfully thought to be aggressive. Many communities and housing options don’t allow this breed, leading to their placement in shelters when owners need to move or discover breed restrictions at their current dwelling.
They have also fallen victim to irresponsible breeding habits that have exacerbated health issues like cataracts, hip and elbow dysplasia, skin allergies and other problems that owners either can’t afford to solve or don’t have the desire to put in the time to care for, also landing them in shelters. If you’re going to welcome a Staffordshire into your home, there are a huge number of rescues that need your help! Consider adopting before shopping at a breeder.
Staffordshire Bull Terrier Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a Staffordshire Bull Terrier puppy or an adult Staffordshire Bull Terrier, there are tons of pups near you just waiting to find their forever home! Here are just a few:
- Sweet, loving & playful
- Avg. Weight
- 28 - 38 lbs
- Occasional grooming recommended
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 14 Years
Staffordshire Bull Terriers near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society