Graceful, speedy and alert, these sleek gray beauties make wonderful pets. Here’s the lowdown on Weimaraners.
The Weimaraner breed is the best of both worlds — a quick, able hunter in the field and a sweet, loyal companion at home. Originally bred as a German hunting dog, Weimaraners are smart and easy to train. They enjoy being stimulated both mentally and physically, making them a perfect member of the pack for an active family.
Weimaraner dogs are exceptionally fond of their humans, especially children. With proper socialization and training, Weimaraners can be a best friend and a protector if necessary.
Why We Love the Weimaraner Breed
- Sleek, shiny and shorthaired, Weimaraner dogs have super low maintenance grooming needs.
- A Weimaraner is the perfect active companion. This breed will love to go running, hiking or to the park to play ball.
- These pups are happiest when they feel like members of a pack and are very loyal to their family. Your Weimaraner will look to your for guidance and happily follow orders.
Things to Consider
- A Weimaraner greatly appreciates a long daily walk, but absolutely needs to run free at times. Having a safe space to let them off leash is essential.
- Because these pups are prone to bloat, the Weimaraner breed should be fed a few small meals per day instead of one large serving.
- If all of that energy isn’t released Weimaraners can be rambunctious and bored. This can drive them to destructive and restless behaviors — especially if their training isn’t diversified and challenging.
Despite their lovable nature, Weimaraners can be a handful if they aren’t trained and exercised well. They want to be surrounded by family and can become mouthy and difficult with separation anxiety. Weimaraner dogs are also more prone to bloat or torsion than other breeds and can also suffer from hip dysplasia.
Weimaraners are lovely, loyal family members and are a great breed for many. If you’re getting a Weimaraner, please consider bringing home a rescue! Here are just a few:
- Friendly, fearless & loyal
- Avg. Weight
- 50 - 70 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 14 years
Weimaraners near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society