Known for their gentle and sweet demeanor, Whippets make great pets for nearly any family. Read on to discover the reasons a Whippet is right for you.
Traditionally used for rabbit hunting and racing sports, the Whippet loves a chase and will spend hours playing with you in a fenced-in area. Despite their energy levels outdoors, Whippets remain calm and quiet indoors, so they’re a great fit for people living in apartments (as long as they get regular exercise!).
One of the most gentle and loving breeds around, Whippets are famous snugglers. If you’re looking for a sweet pup that loves to cuddle on the couch and play at the dog park, a Whippet is a great fit for you and your family!
Why We Love the Whippet Breed
- Whippets have low energy levels indoors, so they make great apartment dogs.
- These dogs are very friendly toward everyone they meet — they rarely bark and love to make new friends.
- Whippet dogs don’t shed excessively, so they require very little grooming outside of weekly brushing to keep excess hair off clothes and furniture.
- These dogs are very gentle and make great companions for children.
Things to Consider
- When not socialized properly, Whippets can be timid and anxious in new environments.
- While they’re relatively calm indoors, Whippets still have exercise needs that should be met through regular walks and opportunities to run in a fenced-in area.
- Whippets are very loving and can suffer from separation anxiety. It’s best to allow them to follow you around the house and snuggle at your feet (or with you on the couch) to keep them at ease.
- Due to their thin skin and short coat, Whippets are very sensitive to the cold. Be sure to bundle your pup in a sweater when it’s cold, wet or snowy outside!
Though these dogs are quiet, friendly and gentle at home, they become very intense with something to chase. Whippets that aren’t kept on a leash or don’t have a properly fenced yard will easily take off after any moving object, and some don’t find their way back to their families.
Over-breeding of the Whippet breed causes exacerbated health issues in these dogs, such as eye disease and sensitivity to anesthesia. Never buy a Whippet from a breeder — instead, consider adopting one of these loving dogs from a local shelter!
Whether you’re hoping for a tiny Whippet puppy or a sweet older dog, there are plenty of snuggly Whippets waiting to find a forever home! Here are just a few:
- Affectionate, calm & playful
- Avg. Weight
- 18 - 48 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 15 Years
Whippets near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society