Wire Fox Terriers
Known for living in the moment, these dogs are always up for an adventure. If you’re looking for an energetic and whip-smart companion, a Foxy might be a perfect match for you!
Fox Terriers come in two coat types, wire and smooth, but the Wire Fox Terrier breed is the more popular of the two. Handsome and happy, these classic pups (also called “Foxys”) are known for their outgoing and active natures. Always up for anything, these bold dogs love to rise to a challenge.
Foxys are the perfect size — small enough to easily take anywhere, but big enough to handle some roughhousing — and have a longer lifespan, making them a perfect family pet. They get along great with older children, and will joyfully spend hours playing in the backyard. If you’re looking for an adventurous pup to join your pack, the Wire Fox Terrier breed may be your prefect match!
Why We Love the Wire Fox Terrier Breed
- These dogs are the perfect match for active owners. Like all terriers, they have plenty of energy, and will love joining you on your daily runs or for playtime in the yard!
- The Wire Fox Terrier breed is known for its charming personality. They’re outgoing and inquisitive, while also being loyal and intelligent.
- Speaking of intelligence, these pups are naturals when it comes to agility and obedience training. Many Wire Fox Terrier owners enjoy teaching their pups an abundance of tricks!
Things to Consider
- Foxys are a vocal bunch — not all dog owners love their high-pitched barks.
- These guys were bred as hunters, and that instinct remains strong with the breed today. The Wire Fox Terrier breed does best in a home where dogs are the only pets.
- Wire Fox Terrier puppies can be tough to housetrain due to their willful nature, so crate training is recommended.
In general, Foxys are a healthy breed with no major health concerns. However, the Wire Fox Terrier is a rare breed, so these dogs are prime targets for overbreeding and irresponsible practices. It can be hard to find a good breeder with a healthy litter. Irresponsible breeding practices can lead to an increase in health issues the breed suffers from, including deafness, cataracts and hip dysplasia.
If you’re hoping to bring one of these loving terriers into your home, consider picking one up at a local shelter or rescue group, rather than supporting breeders and puppy mills.
Wire Fox Terrier Rescues
These dogs make great companions, whether you’re looking for a lively Wire Fox Terrier puppy or a whip-smart adult. And plenty of these pups are sitting in shelters, just waiting for their forever families to take them home. Here are just a few:
- Gregarious, alert & confident
- Avg. Weight
- 15 - 19 lbs
- Regular brushing; occasional hand-stripping
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 15 Years
Wire Fox Terriers near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society