Bold and brave, Yorkies are adorable little attention-lovers. Here’s all you need to know about this spunky breed.
Yorkshire terrier dogs (also known as Yorkies) may look regal, but did you know these pups were originally ratters? Their small size and feisty nature made them perfect for catching critters in clothing mills. Though they would eventually become royal pets, Yorkies were first working class family dogs.
Today, the energetic Yorkshire terrier breed is beloved by all. Oblivious to their small size, Yorkies are adventurous, spirited, and full of love for their families!
Why We Love the Yorkshire Terrier Breed
- Yorkshire terriers LOVE their humans. They have tons of affection and snuggles to give you!
- These tiny pups are adaptive and thrive in several different living environments.
- Yorkies have a good bit of terrier in them, which makes them great for active families who love to play.
- These pooches aren’t all looks—they’ve got brains too! Yorkshire terriers are smart pups.
Things to Consider
- That beautiful show coat requires lots of grooming.
- Despite their small size, Yorkies can be very assertive. Early socialization can help your puppy warm up to strangers and other animals.
- Crate training your Yorkshire terrier puppy is strongly recommended. Your pooch needs patient parents to help with house training.
- Overly pampered Yorkies can get small dog syndrome. They’ll rule the house! Obedience training is recommended for this sometimes-sassy breed.
With all that spunk and adorableness, it’s no surprise that Yorkies are incredibly popular in the United States. Unfortunately, this has its consequences. Yorkshire terriers are often victims of overbreeding, which exacerbates health issues like poor digestion, eye infections, bronchitis, and joint problems. Help these precious dogs avoid a horrible fate. If you’re thinking of adopting a Yorkshire terrier, consider opening your home to a rescue!
Yorkshire Terrier Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a Yorkshire terrier puppy or a full-grown Yorkie pal, there are tons of dogs near you just waiting to find their forever home! Here are just a few:
- Feisty, loyal & active
- Avg. Weight
- 4 - 7 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 13 - 16 years
Yorkshire Terriers near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society