Australian Cattle Dogs
Tried-and-true working dogs, these pups will bring plenty of love and energy into your home. Find out if an Australian Cattle Dog is right for you.
There’s no such thing as a day off for the Australian Cattle Dog! Also called an Australian Heeler or Blue Heeler, this dog was bred to herd cattle through high temperatures and rough terrain, and maintains its hard-working attitude even as a family pet. The Australian Cattle Dog breed is highly intelligent, but also very loving — they’re fiercely loyal to their families, and form strong bonds with their owners.
These pups are tough and hardy, and they love mental and physical stimulation. If you’re looking for an athletic canine companion (and especially a dog sport partner), the Australian Cattle Dog is a perfect match for you!
Why We Love the Australian Cattle Dog Breed
- Australian Cattle Dogs are intensely devoted to their owners — they’re even referred to as “shadow dogs.”
- These dogs are friendly and loving, and very protective of their family members.
- Australian Cattle Dog puppies are super intelligent and respond well to early socialization and obedience training.
Things to Consider
- Australian Cattle Dogs are extremely active. They require regular exercise and mental stimulation to keep them busy.
- Because they were bred as cattle herders, nipping and biting is a natural instinct. Early training is necessary to curb them of this habit.
- The Australian Cattle Dog breed is highly intelligent, but can be willful and stubborn during training.
Many Australian Cattle Dogs are purchased by people who don’t understand the breed’s exercise needs. When they become bored, these dogs can direct their energy toward destructive behaviors that many pet owners find undesirable. However, with proper training and exercising, these behaviors aren’t a problem for owners willing to work with their dogs.
Improper breeding of the Australian Cattle Dog breed also leads to an increase in health issues. Puppies purchased from breeders are more prone to problems such as deafness and progressive retinal atrophy, which leads to blindness. Before shopping with a breeder, look for a loving Australian Cattle Dog at a local animal shelter who needs a loving home.
Australian Cattle Dog Rescues
Whether you’re hoping for a sweet Australian Cattle Dog puppy or a full-grown canine athlete, there are plenty of energetic Australian Cattle Dogs waiting to find a forever home! Here are just a few:
- Alert, curious & pleasant
- Avg. Weight
- 30 - 50 pounds
- Weekly brushing required
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 15 Years
Australian Cattle Dogs near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society