These ancient dogs are unique in every way. Find out if a Basenji is a perfect fit for your family.
The Basenji is perhaps one of the oldest breed of domesticated dog — in fact, many believe he has more in common with his wolf ancestors than with the typical house dog! Basenjis are hound dogs, which means they’re intelligent and free-spirited, as well as affectionate and loving.
Living with a Basenji is never boring! Their unique dispositions will be greatly appreciated by those with a good sense of humor, and they’re sure to keep you on your toes.
Why We Love the Basenji Breed
- These dogs are very affectionate, and can be great companions for those with older children and other large pets.
- Basenjis love to play! They’re also experts at activities like lure coursing and agility. If you’re looking for a new exercise partner, you’re on the right track!
- The Basenji breed is almost cat-like in their grooming habits. They keep themselves very clean, and their hair is so short and fine that shedding isn’t as bothersome as with other breeds.
Things to Consider
- The Basenji may be known as a “barkless” breed, but that doesn’t mean he’s quiet! They make sounds that include yodels, whines, unusual whimpers and even “screams.”
- These dogs are best suited for owners who are up to a challenge! Highly intelligent, they learn and understand commands very well. However, their stubborn streak means they may not always choose to follow them.
- Basenjis are highly energetic, and require a good deal of exercise. Otherwise, some unwanted behaviors may arise if they become bored.
The Basenji breed is unique in every aspect, from their looks to their personalities. This unfortunately makes them a target for irresponsible breeders who aren’t always as careful with the health of their dogs. This can lead to litters that have exacerbated health issues, like kidney disease and retinal atrophy (leading to blindness).
If you’re looking to bring one of these beautiful dogs into your family, take a look at local shelters and rescue groups before shopping around with a breeder!
Whether you’re hoping for a Besenji puppy or an adult exercise partner, there are plenty of these sweet dogs waiting to find a forever home! Here are just a few:
- Smart, poised & independent
- Avg. Weight
- 22 - 24 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 12 Years
Basenjis near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society