Charming and easy-going, the Basset Hound is the perfect family pet. Read on for everything you need to know about these adorable pups.
With their sad eyes and droopy ears, it’s easy to fall in love with the adorable Basset Hound! They’re exceptionally good-natured and friendly, which makes them a great pet for families and owners with other animals. Their low energy level makes them the perfect cuddle partner, too!
However, these hound dogs were bred as hunting dogs, so they love long, leisurely walks where they can pick up a good scent trail. They’re highly intelligent, and respond well to positive reinforcement during training (especially when treats are involved!).
Why We Love the Basset Hound Breed
- The even-tempered and gentle nature of Bassets make these dogs the perfect family pets! They get along great with children, other dogs, and even cats.
- These pups are very friendly, and tend to be very loyal to their owners.
- Basset Hounds have a moderately low energy level and low exercise needs, making them great apartment dogs.
- Their intelligence and friendliness make them good pets for first-time dog owners.
Things to Consider
- Like all hounds, Bassets can be stubborn and difficult to train. Obedience and crate training are highly recommended.
- Watch out for the drool! The loose skin around their mouths causes these dogs to be a bit messy, so fastidious housekeepers may not make the best Basset owners.
- Bassets have adorably floppy ears, but their size makes them prone to infections. Their ears may require more regular cleaning.
- These pups love to eat! They’ll easily overeat if given the chance, and obesity is a common issue that can lead to serious health problems.
Some pet owners can’t stand dogs that drool, which unfortunately leads to a number of gentle Bassets getting dropped off at shelters. Also, over-breeding tends to exacerbate their existing health conditions, which leads some of these dogs to be a bigger responsibility than some people want. But they have plenty of love and patience to go around! Before you decide to make one part of your family, check for a local rescue pup that needs a forever home!
Basset Hound Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a tiny Basset Hound puppy or an adult dog with a face full of adorable wrinkles, there are tons of laid-back dogs near you just waiting to find their forever home! Here are just a few:
- Charming, low-key & patient
- Avg. Weight
- 50 - 65 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 12 years
Basset Hounds near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society