Family dogs by nature, Collies are incredibly devoted dogs Here’s all you need to know about this loyal breed.
When you think of a Collie, you probably picture Lassie. This famous Collie captured hearts across the world in her namesake movie.
Native to Scotland, Collies are herding dogs that have a fierce love and loyalty to their owners. Their mild temperament and intelligent nature make the collie breed excellent family dogs.
Why We Love the Collie Breed
- Collies LOVE their family. They have an uncanny ability to sense when something is wrong.
- This breed is adaptive to several home environments as long as they get exercise.
- Collies thrive as therapy dogs. They’re full of love for their humans.
- With both shorthaired and longhaired varieties, the Collie breed is beautiful as well as snuggly.
Things to Consider
- With such a beautiful coat, be ready for lots of grooming.
- As much as Collies love to love on you, they are energetic and will need exercise.
- Just like all breeds, Collies need socialization. Consider enrolling your Collie puppy in some socialization classes or puppy kindergarten.
- These intelligent pups can be a bit stubborn. They need a calm, patient owner to show them the ropes.
Lassie skyrocketed the Collie breed to fame. Unfortunately, this popularity has made the breed a victim of unethical breeding processes. Overbreeding in Collies can exacerbate medical issues such as hip dysplasia, allergies, and eye issues. Help these precious dogs avoid unethical breeding. If you’re thinking of adopting a Collie, consider opening your home to a rescue!
Whether you’re looking for a Collie puppy or an adult Collie dog, there are tons of pups near you just waiting to find their forever home! Here are just a few:
- Graceful, devoted & proud
- Avg. Weight
- 50-75 pounds
- Avg. Life Span
- 12-14 years
Collies near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society