French Bulldogs are known for their sweet, placid nature. Here’s all you need to know about these precious pups.
Did you know the French Bulldog breed has been around since the 1800s? They were bred as a companion breed by English lace makers, who then took their furry friends to France when the Industrial Revolution began. These pups weren’t even thought of as their own breed initially, but that didn’t stop them from becoming a highly sought-after pet! Parisian socialites, artists, writers and fashion designers found the pups highly desirable.
Today, French Bulldogs are known for their sweet disposition, patience, and affection toward their owners. This breed is particularly affectionate with children, especially if you’ve got a female Frenchie!
Why We Love the French Bulldog Breed
- French Bulldogs are little fur-balls of unconditional affection. Getting them acclimated to children should take very little time.
- They can easily live with other breeds as long as the proper introductions are made.
- French Bulldogs rarely bark, and if they do it’s to draw attention to a need. This makes them great for pet-owners who might need to keep their home quiet (we’re looking at you, apartment dwellers!).
- These pups are clowns! They will definitely make you laugh.
Things to Consider
- These pooches can be stubborn, which means patience is crucial when training your French Bulldog Puppy!
- French Bulldogs are a flat-faced breed. They are bulky and have a compromised respiratory system, so they have difficulty regulating their temperature effectively. To keep your pup from getting overheated, keep them indoors and keep the air conditioning on.
- French Bulldogs are a people-oriented breed that needs frequent interaction with their humans. Make sure you have time to dedicate to your Frenchie!
French Bulldogs, with their sweet and loving disposition, are incredibly popular in the United States. Unfortunately, this means these adorable dogs are overbred, which can increase health problems in the breed like joint disease, heart issues, and respiratory problems. Put an end to overbreeding. If you’re thinking about adopting a French Bulldog, know that French Bulldogs rescued from puppy mills are often getting their first dose of affection and they soak it up immediately! Become a forever companion to a precious rescue.
French Bulldog Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a French Bulldog puppy or an older Frenchie, there are tons of rescues that can’t wait to meet you! Here are just a few:
- Cheerful, smart & friendly
- Avg. Weight
- 15 - 30 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 11 - 13 years
French Bulldogs near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society