Loving and bold, the Giant Schnauzer is a wonderful companion for experienced dog owners. Read on to find out why we love this breed.
Life is never boring with a Giant Schnauzer! Always the life of the party, these pups have a huge personality that will keep you entertained for hours. They shower family members with love and affection, and keep everyone on their toes with their independent thinking and playfulness.
Giant Schnauzer dogs excel at everything they do, from agility and obedience sports to drug detection, search and rescue, and therapy activities. With a task to perform and a family to snuggle up to, your Giant Schnauzer will be one happy pup!
Why We Love the Giant Schnauzer Breed
- These dogs are incredibly intelligent — they excel at learning commands and love having a job to do. There’s no limit to their capabilities!
- Giant Schnauzers make great companions for active owners! They love going for walks and playing in a big backyard.
- You’ll find a little of everything with this pup! They have calm and loving temperaments, but are also energetic and hardworking.
Things to Consider
- These dogs are naturally suspicious of strangers. You’ll want to make sure your Giant Schnauzer puppy is well socialized to prevent any unwanted behaviors.
- While their personalities are wonderful, they can become a little harder to handle without proper exercise and mental stimulation.
- The Giant Schnauzer breed is a bit high maintenance — their double coats require brushing 1–3 times each week, and you’ll need to hand strip them every 4–6 months.
The Giant Schnauzer’s wonderful personality makes this dog highly desirable, which unfortunately makes the breed a prime target for irresponsible breeding practices. Over-breeding tends to exacerbate health issues that are common in the Giant Schnauzer breed, including squamous cell carcinoma (cancer in the dog’s toes), autoimmune thyroiditis and hip dysplasia.
If you’re looking to bring one of these loving pups into your family, take a look at local shelters and rescue groups before shopping around with a breeder.
Giant Schnauzer Rescues
Whether you’re hoping for playful Giant Schnauzer puppy or a quiet, well-rounded adult, there are plenty of these sweet dogs waiting to find a forever home! Here are just a few:
- Alert, loyal & easily trained
- Avg. Weight
- 55 - 80 lbs
- Regular brushing required
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 12 Years
Giant Schnauzers near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society