Intelligent, fun loving and gentle, the Irish Setter is a top-notch canine companion. Find out the reasons this breed is a perfect fit for you.
These redheaded beauties are affectionate and playful, with an energy level to match. The Irish Setter’s puppy-like enthusiasm continues into its adult years, making it a wonderful fit for active families who love a good romp in the yard.
Irish Setter dogs have a wonderful temperament, which makes them a great addition to families with children and other animals as well. They’ve also frequently been used as therapy dogs, bringing joy and love to those in hospice care, nursing homes and children’s hospitals.
Why We Love the Irish Setter Breed
- Irish Setters get along well with both children and other animals.
- These dogs are gentle and have wonderful temperaments. They’re known to make terrific therapy dogs.
- The Irish Setter breed is incredibly playful and fun loving, and many maintain their puppy-like joy their entire lives.
Things to Consider
- Irish Setters have a lot of energy, so they’re a better fit for families with large, fenced yards where they can run around.
- These pups are very attached to their families, and can suffer from separation anxiety if left alone for long periods of time.
- Irish Setter dogs have beautiful coats, but they require daily brushing to keep their silky hair from becoming tangled.
Irish Setters are very active and have a mischievous streak, and not all owners are prepared for what goes into bringing this beautiful breed into their homes. As such, these dogs are sometimes surrendered to shelters when their owners can’t properly care for them.
The loving and gentle temperament, and the silky red coat, of the Irish Setter breed is highly desirable, which makes them a target for aggressive over-breeding. This can result in dogs who have complicated health issues, such as canine leukocyte (an inability to fight off infections) and epilepsy. Before shopping around at a breeder, check out a local rescue group or shelter for a loving Irish Setter to join your family.
Irish Setter Rescues
Whether you’re hoping for a mischievous Irish Setter puppy or a beautiful and playful adult, there are plenty of these intelligent pups waiting to find a forever home! Here are just a few:
- Active, outgoing & sweet-natured
- Avg. Weight
- 60 - 70 lbs
- Daily brushing recommended
- Avg. Life Span
- 11 - 15 Years
Irish Setters near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society