With regal looks and a lively personality, the Maltese is a lovable ball of energy! Here’s the 411 on these awesome companion dogs.
The Maltese breed is one of the most ancient toy breeds, and these pups have been aristocrats since the beginning. With their long, flowing coats and their doting nature, Maltese were certainly fit for royalty. In fact, they were royal pets of several civilizations throughout history!
Today, the Maltese is loved by all. They are devoted to their families and friendly toward everyone (and every pet) they meet. Despite their miniature size, these pups are full of life! In short, your Maltese is the ultimate family dog.
Why We Love the Maltese Breed
- Maltese are friends to everyone. They love their humans and get along with other pets as well!
- This breed is known for being extremely gentle-mannered.
- Though they’re small, this breed is an energetic one. They love to play and will make you smile with their exuberant personality!
- Maltese are eager to please their owners, meaning they take well to training, especially if praise and treats are involved.
Things to Consider
- Your Maltese puppy may be difficult to housebreak. Crate training can help the process.
- Since the Maltese is a companion dog, your pooch may suffer from separation anxiety. Make sure you have enough time to dedicate to your dog!
- That beautiful coat requires daily brushing and frequent grooming.
It’s no wonder that Maltese are some of the most popular dogs in the United States. With their playful personalities, doting nature, and unending devotion, what’s not to love? Unfortunately, their popularity makes Maltese victims of overbreeding. Unethical breeding practices can lead to exacerbated health issues in the breed, such as progressive retinal atrophy, digestive problems, and respiratory issues. Help the Maltese breed escape from overbreeding. If you’re looking to adopt a Maltese, check out a rescue instead!
Whether you’re looking for a Maltese puppy or an older pal, there are plenty of rescues that need a loving family. Here are just a few:
- Playful, bold & loving
- Avg. Weight
- 6 - 10 lbs
- Avg. Life Span
- 12 - 15 years
Maltese near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society