Independent and intelligent, the Rhodesian Ridgeback breed will bring nobility into your home. Find out all you need to know about these dignified pups.
The Rhodesian Ridgeback can easily be identified by the ridge that runs down its spine and its overall handsome stature.
This noble breed hails from Africa, where the Ridgeback was bred to hunt lions! Today, these large, dignified dogs are still active enough for hunting but will also curl up next to their human for a nice nap after a day of activity.
Why We Love the Rhodesian Ridgeback Breed
- Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs have short coats that don’t require much grooming.
- This breed is adaptive to several home environments as long as they get plenty of exercise.
- Rhodesian Ridgebacks are super smart!
- As your pup matures into an adult, he’ll become quiet and calm.
Things to Consider
- This is an intelligent, strong breed that may require more experienced dog owners who can teach their pup proper manners.
- Rhodesian Ridgebacks can live with other animals but will need to be raised with them from a young age.
- Keep in mind that this is a breed that was born to hunt! Your Rhodesian Ridgeback needs plenty of exercise and mental stimulation.
- These dogs are known to roam. If you have a backyard, make sure you have a high fence to keep your dog safe.
Rhodesian Ridgebacks are noble animals that have become extremely popular in the U.S., especially as hunting partners or competition dogs. With this popularity comes unethical breeding practices, which can exacerbate health issues in the breed, such as hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, and skin issues. Help these wonderful pups avoid a miserable fate by rescuing a Rhodesian Ridgeback instead of buying from an unethical breeder.
Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescues
Looking for a Rhodesian Ridgeback puppy? Or perhaps an adult dog is more up your ally. Either way, there are plenty of Rhodesian Ridgeback recues who are looking for their forever home. Here are just a few:
- Intelligent, powerful & noble
- Avg. Weight
- 70 - 85 lbs
- Regular brushing required
- Avg. Life Span
- 10 - 12 years
Rhodesian Ridgebacks near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society