This smart, loyal pup will be your family’s best friend for years to come if you let it. Find out if they’re a good fit for your home.
Everyone fell in love with Jock, the feisty and protective Scottish Terrier dog from Disney’s Lady and the Tramp, and Jock’s real-life counterparts are no different. These short-legged beauties were originally bred as hunting dogs for badger and foxes, and they maintain their whip-smart intelligence and loyal nature to this day.
The Scottish Terrier breed is brave and independent, and adored the world over for their idiosyncrasies. If you’re looking for a gorgeous pup to make part of the family, the Scottie might be the dog for you.
Why We Love the Scottie Breed
- Scottish Terriers are highly adaptive to their surroundings. This means they’re happy to sit quietly with you when you want, and are excited to go for a walk when you are.
- These pups love family companionship — once they befriend you, it’s a life-long bond.
- Scotties are incredibly brave and loyal, with legendary devotion to their two-legged family members.
- Nicknamed “nanny dogs,” Scottish Terriers are great with children (as long as they’re past the tail-pulling stage!).
Things to Consider
- Scottish Terriers are beautiful, but that gorgeous coat requires a significant commitment to maintain with regular grooming and clipping.
- They have a natural instinct to dig, so owners who are very particular about their yards may do better with a different breed.
- Great with older children, but Scotties aren’t a good fit for families with babies and toddlers, as they tend to defend themselves against unwanted pulling and tugging.
- These pups are definitely alarm barkers, so they may not be the ideal pets for areas with noise rules.
Scotties are loving and loyal, but they tend to have a few undesirable behavior issues if they aren’t properly socialized and trained. This unfortunately leads to many of these dogs being abandoned at shelters with no one to give them the love they need.
Instead of buying Scottish Terrier dogs from breeders, check your local shelter to give these pups the caring home they deserve!
Scottish Terrier Rescues
Whether you’re looking for a furball Scottish Terrier puppy or are ready to welcome a loving adult Scottie into your home, there are plenty of these smart pups waiting to find a forever home! Here are just a few:
- Confident, independent & spirited
- Avg. Weight
- 18 - 22 lbs
- Regular grooming & clipping required
- Avg. Life Span
- 11 - 13 Years
Scottish Terriers near 20149Edit
Animal Rescues near 20149Edit
Persian Rescue of Virginia
The Cats at Longstreet
Save The Tails Rescue Group, Inc.
|Leesburg, VA||1 888 379 5558 x1|
Humane Society of Loudoun County
|Leesburg, VA||(703) 777-2912|
Little Buddies Adoption and Humane Society